MAY 21
Got more updates from Kyle and Jerry. Some shots still need rendering, but most are finalised. The only shot that is not ready for render is the underwater shot.
MAY 19
Kyle rendered final version of s3, reassigning tasks depending on the availability of help. Working on nice subtitles.
MAY 12
This is my class 15 update, I am starting to incorporate extra help shots. After this my main objective is to make the subtitles look smooth and direct/aid the extra help.
I updated lighting and finalised shots 2, 4, 5, 9 and 17. The next step is getting the extra help shots added and fine tuning the final edit.
I have finished shots 4 & 9, however they still need lighting correction.
I also got an update from extra help on s3 crowd simulation.
I started blocking out s9, however I found that some of my scans were of lesser quality, so I am processing 3-4 extra figures to add to the scene.
This is my midterm update.
Finalised s6, handed off s17 for lighting. Also scanned people in T-pose and reaction pose - about 10 scans left.
Started blocking out s6, as well as made more close up scans.
This is my current update for class 5. Shots 20, 21 and 22 are 90% done.
I put the photo scan into the context and updated the rbd simulation on shot 20. Also added lights and assets. While there are some collision padding issues, this might be a great blueprint for shots 21 and 22.
After taking a break and doing research, me and Kyle Lin started working on creating a pipeline from photo scanning people to turning them into models to be used in the shots. There were several ways of converting point clouds, but after choosing one in the end, a trial model was put into rnd shot 20.
Here is the timeline at the end of winter quarter. With all the heavy simulation done I am excited to move on to the rest of the shots.
I have adjusted and re rendered shots 15 and 16, they will be able to be integrated into the final edit before the deadline.
Updated shots 15 and 16 with proper texture and timing, camera and compositing still needs improvements.
Here is current footage for the project:
Still needs texture/lighting, retiming and re simming & camera change, but here are preliminary shots 15 & 16.
FEB 25
Here is update for class 15, shot descriptions removed for more calm viewing.
FEB 20
Shot 7 re rendered with no noise and extra in camera effects.
FEB 18
Got shot 22 to be at 80% done as well.
FEB 13
After a lot of iterations i have shot 1, that is 80% done.
Here is the midterm update.
I re rendered shots 7 & 8 to be longer. I also set up shots 1, 21 & 22. However I need more time to perfect them.
JAN 28
I have re-rendered the meteor at a smaller voxel size as well as added temperature, which made it possible for me to add fire. While this shot and shot 7 are not done, I am planning on moving on onto next shots, and returning to these two at a later date.
JAN 21
Over the past week I spent time working on shots 7 and 8. On my schedule they are meant to be done by end of week 3, which I believe is achievable. Currently they both need more detail in the sim, fire and an extra collider for the swirls (lickily both shots use the same sim). In the meantime I created this updated version, now with shots marked by which quarter they need to be finished in (though some might change if I get more people on the team).
JAN 14
Started working on realising shot 8, however after some research found out that there were no clouds around on the day when the meteor fell, so ended up jumping right into trying to recreate the trail from the meteor. It not quite there, the main issue being replicating scale without exploding my computer.
As part of rnd I created a rough model (will be worked on) of the meteor as well as started looking at creating a very simple city generator, that is mimicking the layout of Chelyabinsk.
I worked on doing pre-vis shots. This time visualising the rbd window breaking scenes. 
Pre-vis for shot 12, of the meteor sinking underwater.
Created 4 more rnd shots.
Updated shot breakdown.
Created a preview of shot 2 using Kyle Lyn's city building tool.
Explanation of the shots:
s1: sky & sunrise timelapse
s2: telephoto shot of grey city, morning light hitting it
s3: similar to pre vis, crowd sim of people walking in the street
s4: a visible streak of light in a skyscraper glass reflection 
s5: grey figure looking in the sky, rim light hitting face
s6-7: looking at powerline the shot zooms out to birds eye of whole city
s8: shot from right behind the meteor quickly pulled away
s9: wide shot of the meteor breaking the clouds
s10: slowly moving person by person, looking up in the sky “slow motion”-like
s11: slowly zooming in on steaming crater
s12: underwater meteor and its pieces sinking with light from above
s13-14: recreations of the damages caused by meteor
s15: basically shot 11 but fully on the crater, still steaming (maybe water sim of ripples)
s16: camera moves through the sky following the trail
s17: telephoto shot of big smoke trail slowly being dispersed
s18: recreating the shot in the preview
s19: repeat of shots 13-14
s20-23: slow motion bullet time 3 locations windows breaking in and general destruction
s24: shot of the sky with a trail in it
[break for actual footage]
s25:  timelapse of the remains of the trail blending with clouds
s26: shot 3 again
[then rewind]
I created a preview of my project for studios 1&2. The shots are not final and are missing movement and descriptions of the effects in them. This is more to block out and explain how the overall structure of the project is.
Here is the completed version of the storyboard for project 1.
Project 1.
For this project I came up with a story based on an object that I brought into class. In my case the story was based on a crocheted bunny that was gifted to me by my friend. The short story is meant to touch of themes of stress and comfort.

You may also like

Back to Top